Sunday, March 7, 2010

Behavior Management

Our teacher is the behavior management master. Seriously, she stays calm, gives choices, then follows through with logical consequences. I have quickly learned this is not something that comes naturally, at least for me. This is a skill that requires training, practice, and patience, because when a kid comes running at you, screaming, covered in green paint, your first reaction is to yell, "NO!" rather than get on their level, and calmly tell them they need to turn around and walk quietly. Mrs. Oetting suggested reading, "Teaching the Tiger: A Handbook for Individuals Involved in the Education of Students with Attention Deficit Disorders, Tourette Syndrome or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder." She said it completely changed her teaching when she had reached the end of her behavior management rope. I received my copy in the mail this week, and I am looking forward to reading it, but if you have some magic behavior management dust, I wouldn't mind if you sent some of it my way as well. :-) Thanks!

0 comments: