Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sara

















My journey here began in 1st grade. My teacher began taking sign language classes at night for some reason or another and began teaching it to us at school. We weren't called on or allowed to do certain things unless we could recognize our name when she fingerspelled it. From then on, I was hooked. I always had a book from the library on signing and every year I learned a little more and more. When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always wanted to be a teacher and work with kids who were deaf. But then came high school. I began looking into photography as a career because it was something I could actually do, and teaching kids who are deaf wasn't an actual occupation I thought. When I was a junior in high school I was looking at colleges I could go to for photography that weren't expensive art schools. I was looking around MSU's website and somehow, I have no idea how, I stumbled upon the CSD department site. I was completely surprised to see they had a degree in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I was so freakin excited. I could do that?! That could be my job!? That exists?! I knew immediately that's what I was going to do. So here I am.

0 comments: